Sunday 27 December 2009

Haunted

I have just been told how depressing my writing is at the moment, but when I am inspired by something it takes over a little bit. Writing in a genre that is quite dark is a little bit of what I do anyway.

At the moment, my writing has been inspired by the advert that was on television a while ago highlighting domestic violence (I think it was taken off, but it had Keira Knightely in it. You can still view it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQqCzJjev_8 ).

This poem complements two other pieces I have written surrounding the theme. This poem is an experiment, because poetry is not my strongest point. Enjoy...

Haunted
I lie here in the darkness,
and wonder if you're awake.
I try not to breathe too heavily.
But my hands begin to shake.

I don't want to turn and face you;
I'm scared you might be there.
I'm the one you like to haunt.
The one you love to scare.

I slowly turn but cannot see you,
I am alone amidst in dark.
The room fills up with morning.
I am greeted by the lark.

I wonder where you could be hiding,
In our game of hide and seek.
You always seem to find me,
Round corners I must peek.

I tiptoe out the bedroom,
I linger on the stair.
I try not to breathe too heavily,
In case you might be there.

I do not hear you standing beside me.
But I feel the final blow.
My life flashes before my eyes,
As I land in a heap below.

I lie here in the darkness.
So this is how it must be.
You can haunt my nightmare life no more,
In this house you made for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment