Monday 18 January 2010

Beauty & BDD


Okay, so I know the main purpose of my blog is to experiment with my writing, but something I have seen recently has sparked something in me, so I'd like to talk about it!


I am almost ashamed to admit it, but I am a die-hard The Hills fan. For those who are unfamiliar with the MTV "reality" show, here is the premise; MTV follows a group of young men ad women around as they live, work, and play in LA. Simple. All of the girls on the show, as you may expect, are gorgeous, but there is one in particular, who has been causing a stir recently.


The girl in question - Heidi Montag, has undergone ten plastic surgery procedures! These procedures reportedly include; liposuction, a BUM IMPLANT!, and rhinoplasty!! To make matters worse, according to the US media, she has said that she wants more!


More? More? Not only does this sound completely ridiculous to me (considering she was a) a Size Zero to begin with, and naturally pretty and b) There are young girls out there who watch the show - can she honestly think she is being a good role model?


I just don't understand. This is somebody who is no stranger to the surgeon's knife (having had a boob job and rhinoplasty done in the past), yet, wants more. She's hardly recognisable as it is. Did she wake up one day and think "I'm going to have plastic surgery today!"


Whatever; it's her choice. You can't tell somebody how to live their life. My concern is for the young girls out there who are still in that influential stage who will look at her and think it's okay to go out there and get all this work done when they don't need to! What about them?




One of the things people would say, according to Heidi was that she had a “Jay Leno chin.” So she decided to make herself “feel more confident” by getting plastic surgery so she wouldn’t feel like an “ugly duckling” anymore and could say “Whoa! That’s me!”


This makes me extremely concerned, especially when you look at the before and after pictures. Why should anybody of any colour, creed, age, gender, religion or sexual orientation care what anybody else thinks? We are put on this Earth to live our own lives, not for anybody to live them for us. We need to LOVE OURSELVES!! What she's saying sounds a lot to me like somebody with BDD!!


If you feel down about yourself, have a hot bath, buy a new outfit, get a haircut, go for a walk, talk a friend, or, like me, write it down! There are people in your life who love you for who you are and would never ask you to change. Listen to them!


At the end of the say, plastic surgery is an individual choice. But, if you want to have it done, have it done for you, and nobody else. And please, talk it through with your family and friends, people who love you and you trust to give you their honest opinion.


If you want more information about BDD go to:


No comments:

Post a Comment