Tuesday 19 January 2010

A New Twist on Classics

Nursey Rhymes 2010

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
When the Policeman
asked what had gone wrong,
Humpty's parents had magically gone.

Little Miss Muffet
Sat on a tuffet,
Eating her curds & whey.
Along came a bad man
And took Muffet's small hand.
Muffet's body was found the next day.

There was a little girl
who had a little curl
right in the middle of her forehead.
She said she'd be good.
Said she'd never tell on him.
But one day she did, and now she's dead.

At the moment I'm having a lot of dreams about children, and I woke up this morning, randomly thinking about Grayson Perry. The two ideas seem to have merged together, and I decided to write a poem involving well known nursery rhymes - but with a 21st Century take. The poem is a bit dark and twisted, but I'm not really one for "nice" poems unless I am writing for children. I wanted to create something that seemed upbeat, so have tried to keep the syllabic count from the actual nursery rhymes.

For a 9.20am poem, I'm rather proud of myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment